Thursday, August 21, 2014

Reflective post 1-My English Language Learning Journey

Write a  reflective post of 250 to 300 words on the topic “My English Language Learning Journey” or “Living in A Globalized World: The Importance of English for Me,” or an instructor-approved variation of one of these topics.
I grow up in a Mandarin-speaking family. This could be the main reason of my dwindling interest in other languages, including English, since I was young.
When I was four, I had my first 'formal' encounter with English in the kindergarten classes. First impression does count, but the subsequent experience matters too. The English lessons in primary school were rigid and boring as the teachers focused much on the vocabulary and grammar rules. This was probably why I did not develop a liking in the subject during my primary school days.
Other than my family background and the rigid English lessons I had, the lack in confidence in communicating and writing in English is probably the biggest obstacle in my journey of learning the language. I do not believe that I could write down the correct grammar or pronounce the unfamiliar word accurately. This has further discouraged me from using English in my everyday life.
However, as I learnt more and more about English, I realised the importance of it. English is the language used in almost all academic subjects in Singapore, and it will be the language I have to use in communicating and writing down my ideas and viewpoints to share with the others in the future.
I have given up Mathematics, which is a subject I have greater confidence in excelling in. Instead, I have chosen FASS as my home faculty. The sole reason is to allow me to learn to look at the world from another perspective and angle. With this same intention in mind, I hope that ES1102 could help me to let go of my 'prejudice' against English, so that I could better master the language and use it as a tool to broaden my horizon. Although this journey has not been smooth, I still hope that this goal could be accomplished someday.
(EDITED )

10 comments:

  1. One of the barriers of English that also deters me is due to its mechanics and technicality as well. However, when I read books and quotes that are both captivating and beautiful in content, I am reminded me of how English is a wonderful tool for expressing desires and emotions.

    Like yourself, the importance of English translate into various domains of my life. I use it to engage my friends, create clear and concise proposal for programmes, as well as writing academic essays. Just like you, I hope I would be able to master academic writing as well as improve my English.

    With regards to your post, I find that your grammar and vocabulary is simple enough for comprehension. However, I find some of your sentences a bit too long. Perhaps I would suggest the use of shorter, succinct sentences to make your reflection easier to read.

    Thank you for sharing your views and reflection with us!

    - Sean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sean

      I know I use very simple sentence structure and vocabulary as I think this will minimise my 'grammar mistakes', haha! Thanks for your advice!

      Delete
  2. I faced similar problems like you regarding the issue on writing and conversing to others in English. However, we should not be afraid of doing so. It is through mistakes that you actually learn. Also, practice makes perfect. The more you practice, the more comfortable you will be with the language. I hope that we can learn and improve on our writing skills together.

    As for your blog post, there is clear organisation throughout the post. However, the second paragraph seems to be a bit too long. In terms of language, I could easily understand the points that you are trying to bring across. As for the content, you explained and analysed clearly on the reasons why you lacked the confidence in writing and conversing to others in English.

    Thank you for sharing your reflection with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lyndesy!

      More practice does help. Although I am still not very confident, I realised that I have became more careful with my use of grammar whenever I write! Let's improve our writing skills together!

      Delete
  3. Dear Ying Hui,

    This is an interesting post. I find your prose quite clear and concise, and general fluency good. What raises my eyebrows is when you state that though math is your forte, you've elected to study in FASS. I appreciate that admission, especially when you write that you want to broaden your perspective on the world. Certainly, English will be of use as you embark on that learning journey. I'm just curious though: What will your major be?

    Here are a few language areas to consider for this short essay:

    1) This has further refrained me from using English as a part of my everyday life. (word/verb choice)

    2) ….as I learn more and more about English, I realised the importance of it. (tense)

    Thanks for he effort!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might want to change your font to make your prose more easily accessible.

      Delete
    2. I didn't realise that the font of my blog post looked like this! The font looked different on my phone.

      Delete
    3. Oops, forget to thank you for your comment! Thank you!

      Delete
  4. Hello Ying Hui:)
    I could not agree with you more with regard to the boring nature of English class during primary school. However, it is through the mundane classes that allow us to master the rules and skills of the English Language that is required for higher levels of writing, communication and comprehension. I feel that this is also what I failed to realize during primary school.

    After reading your reflection, I feel that you should be more confident of your writing because it is well-organized and easy to read. The reflection is also very motivating from the desire to your widen perspectives. I am sure your journey in FASS will definitely be one that is eye-opening and fruitful.

    However, one way of improving could be using lesser “I” in your reflection. After reading the comments on my own reflection I realize we have the same problem. Perhaps this problem could be resolved by using more variety of sentence structures.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jessica

      Thank you for commenting on my post! The "I" problem is to reduce my chances of making mistakes...I agree that using different sentence structures may solve this problem. I will try to kick this habit!

      Delete