Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Reflective post- the event that has shaped my life



This event had really impacted me significantly. In fact, I did not realise that this event had such a huge impact on my life after I started to recall it for this blog post.

Just months before my Primary School Leaving Examination (PSLE), my mum was hospitalized. She was a housewife who spent most of her time taking care of the family members and doing the house chores.

My mum would do her best to teach and supervise my academic work. However, I was an ‘average’ student who was relatively poor in my Mathematics when I was in Primary Six. This upset her greatly as she always excelled Mathematics in her school days.
However, one fine day in July 2007, I could not find her at home after school. My father told me that my mum was hospitalised. Just like any naive 12 years old child would, I thought that my mum would be home in a few days. However, I realised that my mum had to continue her stay in the hospital and no one knew when she could come home.
My mum's five-month long hospitalization had changed me, my way of thinking and my attitude towards studies and life. Emotionally, I am now more sensitive towards others' actions and words and I treasure family more. In terms of school work, I work even harder for my studies, especially Mathematics.
I become the person I am today largely because of the experience that I had went through in my primary six days. However, looking from another point of view, I was glad that I am who I am now, because I will be able to remain strong when I encounter setbacks in the future.

 
(edited)

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing with us, Ying Hui, what must have been a very traumatic event for you and your family. I'm glad that you have gained strength from this experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Yinghui,
    thank you for sharing! I am sure after reading this, many people will learn to cherish their family members even more!! :-)
    I don't know if this is blessing in disguise, but I am glad that this incident has allowed you to grow into a stronger, matured, and responsible girl! Jiayous, and I know with these traits, you will continue to do great! :)

    ReplyDelete